Lemonade is a summer staple to refresh and cool off, but you can enjoy it all year. Better yet, electrolyte lemonade gives you the added benefits of hydration without all the added sugar and calories.
Ditch the sweet lemonade and create your own with this recipe for electrolyte lemonade, a few delicious additions, and tips to craft your perfect post-workout drink or cold and flu home remedy.
“Infusing your lemonade with slices of fresh fruit like blueberries, strawberries, oranges gives you a lot of added flavor and a dose of natural electrolytes.”
What Are Electrolytes?
Electrolytes are essential minerals like sodium, calcium, potassium, magnesium, chloride, bicarbonate, and phosphorus. These minerals carry an electrical charge and affect how your body functions, including the amount of water you hold, the acidity of your blood, your muscle function, and other important processes.
You lose electrolytes through normal bodily processes, including sweating and urinating. They have to be replaced by your diet or drinking electrolyte fluids. Water is part of hydration, but plain water doesn’t contain electrolytes to replace what was lost.
Electrolytes come from foods like watermelon and spinach and drinks like lemon juice and coconut water. While getting electrolytes from drinks and nutrition can help you stay hydrated, it may not be enough when you’ve lost a lot of electrolytes – such as from a brutal workout or being sick.
Electrolyte Lemonade Recipe with Core Culture Supplement
- 4 cups of purified water
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 to 3 lemons)
- Two tablespoons of honey or maple syrup, adjusted to taste
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon of potassium chloride (optional)
- One scoop of Core Culture Unflavored Electrolytes Supplement
- Ice cubes
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Start by juicing the lemons for a ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice. Remove any seeds and pulp.
- In a large pitcher, combine the freshly squeezed lemon juice, honey or maple syrup, sea salt, and potassium chloride (if using). Stir until the sweetener is fully dissolved.
- Add the Core Culture electrolyte supplement tablet to the pitcher and stir well. Make sure it dissolves completely in the lemonade.
- Pour in the purified water and mix everything. Taste the lemonade and adjust the sweetness or saltiness to your preference by adding more honey or salt if needed.
- Fill glasses with ice cubes and pour the electrolyte lemonade over the ice.
- Garnish each glass with a slice of lemon.
- Stir before drinking to ensure that the electrolytes are evenly distributed.
More Electrolyte Lemonade Recipe Options
Are you looking to change it up with some different lemonade recipes? Here are some alternatives:
For this recipe, replace regular lemons with pink lemons or add a splash of pomegranate or cranberry juice for a vibrant pink color and a unique flavor. Add a scoop of Core Culture Pink Lemonade Electrolytes for an extra pink lemonade flavor.
Cucumber Melon Lemonade
Cucumber and watermelon are a great combination, especially in the summer. Blend watermelon or cucumber slices and mix the puree with lemonade for a refreshing twist. Add a pinch of salt for extra electrolytes. Core Culture’s Cucumber Melon Electrolytes can also give you a richer flavor.
Lemonade with Fresh Fruit
Infusing your lemonade with slices of fresh fruit like blueberries, strawberries, oranges gives you added flavor and a dose of natural electrolytes. Combine fresh fruit slices with Core Culture’s Dragon Fruit Electrolytes, Orange Electrolytes, or Lemon Lime Electrolytes to create a flavor combination.
Tips for Crafting the Perfect Electrolyte Lemonade
Here are some tips to craft your own signature electrolyte lemonade recipe:
- Balance sweetness and saltiness: Adjust the sweet flavors and salt to your liking. Some people like sweet lemonade, but others may prefer a saltier drink for a more balanced electrolyte profile.
- Use fresh ingredients: Flavored electrolytes and fruit juices give your lemonade a unique flavor, but use fresh ingredients whenever you can for the best flavor and nutrient content.
- Stay hydrated: Electrolyte lemonade can be a great way to stay hydrated, especially in hot weather or after exercise. Make sure you drink enough water throughout the day with your lemonade.
- Experiment with flavors: Get creative with different flavors and fruits to find our favorite electrolyte lemonade combination. This can make staying hydrated more enjoyable.
- Consult a healthcare professional: It’s essential to consult with your doctor if you have health concerns or dietary restrictions before making any significant changes to your diet.